Saturday, February 28, 2009

2 Legit 2 Quit/ Ice Ice Baby

Friday I went to the best. concert. ever! Vanilla Ice & MC Hammer - one night only and in Orem, UT of all places! From the moment I heard about this concert, I knew I HAD to go!!! In fact just minutes after I heard the concert announcement on the radio, I sent a text to Rebbecca & Teeno to make sure they were going with me. We do all kinds of random things together and this was definitely something they would be in on. I believe my text said something like this - " 7 words: Vanilla Ice/MC Hammer in concert, Orem. You in?" They were.

Yes, I understand that I was only 10 years old "back in the day" when MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice were "big" but whenever I hear their music, which isn't often, but still, it makes me happy and takes me back to a happier place and time. For whatever reason the senior class of my high school had "Ice Ice Baby" as their "theme" during my Junior year of HS. It was played at every football game, basketball game and assembly we had that year. Everytime I hear "Ice Ice Baby" I flash back to HS and it makes me happy. Plus there is just something about billowing pants with tapered ankles that brings a smile to my face.
Anyway I had a great time at the concert, despite the crowds (personal space=not existent) and HORRIBLE event planning. (Who just has people crush in @ the "will call" window and only 3 security guards/ticket takers for the entrance? Seriously, my 11 year old sister could have done a better job organizing the event than the yahoos who were running it.) Too be honest Vanilla Ice kind of sucked. He kept playing "new material" but none of us where there for that. We wanted the old school stuff. He did finally pull out "Ninja Rap" "Funky Music" and last, but certainly not least, "Ice Ice Baby." Sadly "Ice Ice Baby" was a big letdown live. Sigh.

UnlikeVanilla, MC Hammer was AWESOME!!! That guys still has moves even though he did pop a button on his vest, (bless his heart!) and he had to take minute break after every song. All of that dancing apparently made him winded. He had a bunch of dancers with him and while he did do one "new" song (apparently he has an upcoming album - why don't they just give up?) he stuck to the old school stuff including "Pray" "Can't Touch This" and "Too Legit." I can't describe the nastalgia and entertainment this provided. Loved it!!

5 comments:

Kara Lee Robinson said...

I'm still dying that I could have gone and didn't realize it! I really think my life would be complete to hear Ice Ice Baby live. Maybe someday...

Palmer Family said...

What a great concert! Definately wish I could have gone. Oh the memories of days gone by....

Rhoten Family said...

Wow! Who says culture isn't in Utah:) Wish I could have been there.

Kelsey said...

Hilarious! An opportunity I could not pass up either. Just thinking about it makes me want to put on some Ice, Ice, Baby and bust a move. *Word to your mother*

A-Mart (A is for Awesome!) said...

I want to ask that guy where he got his shirt...