Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Smattering of Random Stories

I am too tired to have any creative juices flowing at the moment, but I wanted to tell a few stories that have happened recently/general observations about what is happening in my life.

1- All of my classes are held in the newly finished addition to the Tanner Building. The classrooms are really nice and the addition has lots of great study rooms for our study groups/teams to use. It is fantastic . The only down side is that because they were in such a rush to finish the addition before schools started, they were not able to iron out of the kinks with the heating and AC. This has resulted in the AC running full blast constantly, creating FREEZING COLD rooms. It is okay in the mornings, but 20 minutes into class I am freezing cold and it just keeps getting colder. I am pretty sure that the temperature runs somewhere around 60 degrees (maybe as low as 57. My assigned seat (yes we have assigned seats, I think it is a throw back to 5th grade, but whatever) is directly under one of the vents. So while everyone else on campus is wearing shorts and a t-shirt to class, I am in wool sweaters and boots. I have considered busting out Furry Goodness (my fur vest) and my down parkas. It has been so cold that one guy has brought a blanket to class and wraps himself up in it. All I am saying is that I will be one happy camper if the heat works as well as the AC in the winter.

2 - The great thing about having all of your classes with the same people is that you really start to get to know these people and their true personalities start to shine through. We have some real characters. One of my favorite characters is a guy by the name of Jeremy. He is from Chicago and sounds a LOT like Joe Jr. from the movie While You Were Sleeping. I love it when he talks cuz he sounds so ethnic, plus he has VERY strong opinions about EVERYTHING, which I find totally amusing. The comments he made during our discussion on employment law were awesome. (He hates that the government can tell him who he has to hire. He says, "I should be able to hire who I want, if I don't like you, too bad!" - He said this in the presence of our guest lecturer, an attorney who specializes in employment law. It was classic!)

3 - This week I had an appointment to met with a member of the bishopric. I had a message from the Executive Secretary whose name is Aaron to set up the appointment and I didn't think much of it. Fastforward to Wednesday... I go strolling into the bishopric's office and the executive secretary greets me in what is a more familiar manner than normal, but I figured this guy was just a little on the friendly side. He then says to me, "I saw Doug today." To which I respond, " How do you know Doug?" He said, "Well a while ago you, me, Doug and Tedi all went and played some really bad golf." I was mortified! I had been out on a blind date with this kid a year or so ago. I remember going on the date, but I didn't remember what he looked like, which is weird because I VERY rarely forget faces. All I have to say about that is AWKWARD!!! What are you suppose to say in a situation like that? I tried to recover as best as I could. Thankfully the bishopric member was ready for me and saved me from further embarassment.

3 comments:

Kara Lee Robinson said...

I love your random updates!! :) I wish I could still hear them in person.

Colleen said...

Hey! I love your blog! You should have got the invite to mine! I'm glad that I can hopefully keep in better touch with you! Love ya lots! Colleen

Uffens Family said...

Hey to my wonderful old comp! I totally didn't know you had a blog and now I will be a frequent visitor! I was so excited to get that email from you and have been so SLOW at getting back to you...You sound great! Love you! Rachel (Shaw) Uffens! Our blog is uffensfamily.blogspot.com