Sunday, November 23, 2008

Blessings

This week I have much for which I am grateful and so in the spirit of the season I would like to share them with you all.

1. An amazing family - I really have one of the most amazing families ever. My parents have done a great job teaching all twelve of us to work hard, dream big and to love and support one another. While we definitely have our challenges they have brought us closer together as siblings. My siblings are my VERY best friends and I know that they will do anything for me, and I for them.

2. Great friends - I have been fortunate to be blessed with wonderful friends who are always there for me. They know how to cheer me up when I am sad or feeling lonely. They get why I think ginormous flower pins are funny. They know when to let me cry on their shoulder and they also know when to say, "Suck it up princess." My friends forgive me when my bluntness is offensive and they understand my true intentions. They withhold judgment and love me despite of my abundant flaws.

3. Fantastic roommates - both past and present - All of my life I have been blessed with great roommates, from my little sister to my present fellow MBA students. They have been my friends and my confidants. They have taught me about relationships and getting along with others. They have cried with me and laughed with me. They put up with my occasional moodiness ( I am a girl after all!) They have known when to push me and when to hold back. It seems that they all have known exactly what I needed of them whether it was a shopping buddy or a listening ear or something else.

4. Home teachers - Today my home teachers came over for their monthly visit and the message that they shared - a discussion of hope and the necessity of it in our lives - was just what I needed to hear. My home teachers have no idea what is going on in my life, but they are spiritually aware and followed the promptings of the Lord who does know what challenges I am facing and what I need to hear. I am extremely grateful for young men who are sensitive to the promptings of the Spirit and who take their responsibilities as home teachers seriously.

5. Visiting Teachers - along with my home teachers, my visiting teacher also came over today. Like my home teachers, she does not know the problems and challenges I am currently facing, but her message was also what I needed to hear. She shared a message about standing close together and lifting where we stand. I had heard part of this message previously, but the part that is so profound to me was the "close together" portion. Many times in our lives we face challenges, have burdens that are too heavy for us to bear alone. Thankfully God has placed people in our lives to help ease these burdens. If we "stand" closely together(are united in our cause) and lift - each bearing the portion that we can - we are able to handle challenges and problems that are just too big for us to carry on our own.

6. Tender mercies of the Lord - In addition to the Lord providing me with a great family, amazing friends, fantastic roommates and home and visiting teachers, I have seen his hand in little things in my life. Friday was a particularly rough day, but thankfully the Lord knew it was going to be a bad day for me, so he made sure that I had plans Friday evening with my friends who had me laughing and having a good time. Additionally I called a friend to ask her a question and she offered a listening ear, taking time out of her VERY busy schedule to be there for me. Then today, after thinking that I needed to seek out individuals who faced similar challenges, I found such a person in a casual conversation at church. I am overwhelmed at the love God displays each and everyday. As long as we are looking for it and recognize that what may seem to some as a mere "coincidence" is actually the Lord manifesting his hand in our life.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Thanks for the great laughs on Friday! By the time I left my cheek and stomach were hurting! It really was so great to just sit and laugh with you girls! I love the tender mercies the Lord always shows us to remind us how mindful he is of us. He's the best huh!! :) Oh, and I wish I had a picture of me on the post singing to the cows! lol

Palmer Family said...

I think that you are one of the most insightful people I know. :) You have a knack for writing things that touch my heart. Thanks!