Monday, January 12, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

I know the month is half over and I now just getting to my resolutions, but I have had to do a lot of thinking about this over the past few weeks, plus I had to adjust to being back and school and on a schedule, but I am obviously not there yet, or else I would be sleeping now instead of blogging, but whatever.

I am sure that I will come up with new resolutions but below of some of the ones that I am working on presently.

1 - Journal writing - I have been using the same journal since the end of 2005, and I am only 1/2 the way through it. Sad, I know. Plus so far that journal contains more ridiculous boy drama than all of my other journals (around 7 or 8 volumes) combined. So lame!

2 - Getting priorities straight - that means that I am going to try to attend more church related functions (not really my fav, but I need to try more)making sure I am reading my scriptures and saying my prayers on a daily basis (I kind of let that slide last semester and I am determined not to let it happen this one!)This also means not obsessing about school at the expense of family relationships.

3 - Better expressing gratitude, love and appreciation - Due to some conversations I have had recently I have decided that I really need to make this a priority. If I am thinking about someone, I need to let them know about it. If someone does something that I especially appreciate, I need to express that. I have tons of great friends whose friendship I haven't maintained as well as I should have, and I want to remedy it as best as I can. I also think that it will help me be more aware of the blessings that I have in my life, which is never a bad thing.

4 - Move on! This is an on-going goal for me and it has taken various shapes and forms in the past, but essentially it means letting go of things that I have been holding onto both good and bad, that are preventing me from moving forward. This means forgiving. It means accepting my flaws and resolving to change them and loving myself regardless. In some instances it means letting people go...

Those are the big ones this year. I am also going to exercise more (that dance aerobics class and mandatory workouts 4 days a week is really going to help!)and hopefully find an internship. Obviously I am sure that I will have times when I am doing better at these goals than others, but I think it is part of the process to at least try to be better. Even if I don't have 100% success, I will at least have improved, right?

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Hey I think you are doing great! I've still been thinking about mine too! I've had the same journal since like 2001. LOL I always start out strong and somewhere lose it...about March! lol Love ya!!

Palmer Family said...

I am impressed you made public resolutions! Maybe if I did that I might keep them..... :) You are fantastic, always remember that!