Monday, October 27, 2008

And the Winner Is.....

Last year when Halloween rolled around, I didn't have any great ideas about what to be for Halloween. I tried to come up with a last minute costume so I Googled costume ideas. One of my favorite suggestions that came up was to have a group of people be beauty pageant contestants ( me and my obsession with beauty pageants, it know), but instead of the typical Miss Texas, Miss New Jersey, etc. you use words that start with mis - Miss Informed, Miss Taken, Miss Fortune, etc. I couldn't use the idea last year, but it worked out perfectly this year. I told my roommates about it and we decided that we should invite all of the other single 1st year girls to be a part of the fun. In all we had 12 or 13 girls arrive at the party to join in.

To help with the festivities, we had a "Sash Making Party" on Friday night. It was a much needed social release after one of the WORST weeks on record as far as school goes. It was SO much fun. Probably my favorite day since I started the MBA program. It was nice to forget about homework for a weekend and just be social. It was FANTASTIC!!! I really like the girls in the MBA program. They are all pretty hilarious and so much fun to hang around. Apparently the overachiever in Elisa, Julina and I came out. We had hors d'oeuvrers (chips, salsa, dips & a veggie tray) followed by dinner (dinner in a pumpkin - you basically back a casserole inside a pumpkin - strange, but very tasty! and homemade rolls- some of the best rolls I have ever tasted) and topped off with dessert (chocolate caramel brownies & apple crisp).

After we ate, then we began making our sashes. Julina made sure that they were all the appropriate length while I sewed the front and the back together. Marissa then did the calligraphy (She used to work for a scrap booking company and taught all kinds of classes, "complete with the Brittney Spears' microphone.") We then sent the girls outside to add the glitter in an effort to kee
p it outside. There are a few glimmering specs throughout our house still, but it was kept to a minimum. I did have to sew while sitting on the floor (All the food had taken over the counter and table.) It is a lot harder than it looks is all I have to say.

Saturday night was a success - some of the girls were less dressed up than others and I wish I could have gotten some more closeups with most of the girls. Unfortunately most of the girls left after the costume judging. My roommates and I and a couple of others stayed to help with the carnival (I am SO glad that I am not a parent and didn't have to chase small children hopped up on TONS of sugar around the whole place. I even said so very loudly - much louder than I had anticipated - while sitting at a table eating with lots of parents around - WHOOPS!) Below are some pictures from the event.

(Again I thought I numbered these, but I am obviously challenged with that aspect of Picasa)

1. The beginnings of big pageant hair - Pageant hair takes a lot of work.

2. Julina (my roommate) learning to backcomb her hair - She was big hair illiterate, but I tried to impart my wisdom.


3. My roommates and me in the fall evening glow (l to r) Elisa, me
& Julina

4. Elisa (aka Miss Chief)'s head shot. We are going to see if the MBA office will let us swap out the pictures they took of us on the 1st day of orientation with these.

5. Julina wanted a picture of my "fabulous eyelashes" so here is my tribute to "loose women" everywhere (if you don't get the reference ask my brother Abe - this one is for you!)

6. Jessica's head shot (Miss Fit).

7. My head shot (Miss Informed)


8. Julina(Miss Fortune)'s full body shot - doesn't she look fantastic?

9. The final product - My legs have never looked better - those shoes do great things for my ankles - Thanks Ted!

10. Julina's new MBA Class of 2010 directory photo.

11. Kate (Miss Interpreted) helping me fluff my
hair - I am pretty sure I was saying "It takes a lot of work to look this good!"

12. Kate sitting pretty while she waits to help the next group of children into their gunnysacks.

13. All of the winners of the "Most Original Costume" (back row l to r) Jessica Sorenson (Miss Fit), Marissa Dorny ( Miss Construed), Thamina Christensen (Miss Cellaneous), Chloe Anderson (Miss Aligned), Me (Miss Informed), Julina Manning (Miss Fortune), Emily H's friend.I don't remember her name (Miss Directed), Emily Hart (Miss Match). Middle row (l to r) Michelle Blood (Miss Demeanor), Kate Lindsay (Miss Interpreted), Allison Clements (Miss Taken); front row (l to r): Emily Tanner (Miss Hap) and Elisa Clements ( Miss Chief)

Until next time....



4 comments:

Rhonda said...

How fun and how funny! I'm laughing my head off and I'm exceedingly jealous that I couldn't have seen it in person!

Palmer Family said...

You always have the best ideas! It made me laugh so hard. Man, I miss you!

Kelsey said...

Love it! Glad you got a much needed respite from your bad week.

Colleen said...

I freakin love your pictures! What a great idea! It was so great to see you for dinner the other night! Love ya!